I’ve just returned ‘home’ to Dordrecht after a month ‘home’ in Melbourne. The temperature has dropped by forty degrees (although it’s actually half-pleasant for winter), I’m all messed up by jetlag (is it something you only get in your later years?) and I even got a ‘welkom thuis’ (welcome home) from the passport officer at [...]
Archive | Australia RSS feed for this section
When I last visited Melbourne, I made a crucial error with my trip planning. I flew back to Amsterdam the day before the Australian Open was to begin. This time, I wasn’t going to make such a mistake. Paul wouldn’t let me. He’d never seen a Grand Slam before, so we pencilled ourselves in to [...]
There was a new girl at our school back in Year 8. She’d come down from New South Wales, speaking a funny language including terms such as ‘cossies’ instead of ‘bathers’ and ‘bubblers’ instead of ‘drinking taps’. I don’t think we were particularly nice to this girl, come to think of it. We found her [...]
I like most sports I see for the first time. I thought handball was brilliant. Gaelic footy was easy to love. Even rugby had something. But cricket was another story. It took quite a while. In fact, it took about a decade. My dad lived and breathed the sport the entire time, teaching me the [...]
On Thursday I’ll be jumping on a plane (well, three in fact) and heading back home. Home to Melbourne, for the first time in two years. I’ll be there for Christmas, New Year and a bit of January; hopefully enough time to catch up with as many friends and family as I can, feel a [...]
Yep, believe the title. I’m twenty eight years old, and I’ve never held my driver’s license. It gets worse. I got my learner’s permit in 2003. In February this year, IT EXPIRED. People have looked at me in genuine disbelief. ‘What?’ they’d say, as if they’d misheard me. Then they’d go on, asking if I’d [...]
My Dad and I like to rate things. Growing up in Altona, we would drive past Kooringal Golf Course on the way to my high school each day. For years, we would rate the golf course as to how good it looked on that particular day. Of course, I’ve never played golf before. I’m even [...]
Yesterday, in another moment of procrastination, I found myself searching for a pub showing the AFL Grand Final on Saturday morning. Just as I was journey planning on the NS website as to how early I was going to have to leave to get to The Hague by 6.30am, I stopped. What was I doing? [...]
Last night I came across Jerry Seinfeld’s new show, ‘Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee’. In the first episode, Jerry and Larry David talk about how they use the rough term ‘five years ago’ to describe some non-specific time in the past when something significant happened. I however, use Olympiads. This time one Olympiad ago, at [...]
You can take the girl out of Melbourne, but you can’t take Melbourne out of this girl – that’s probably the main reason why I was reading this article in the Age the other day about the best dumplings in Melbourne. Frankly, I think this list is pretty lazy. Although I used to be a [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- The 8 travel words I HATE May 17, 2014
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Mayhem in Mechelen September 16, 2014
- You know when I said I wasn’t tour guiding this year? Um… August 3, 2014
- A little bit of Japan in the middle of Brazil July 28, 2014
- Somewhere in Sao Paulo July 24, 2014
- Far away in Rio de Janeiro July 19, 2014
- Adelina: Wow, this sounds like the ultimate dream job. Cong...
- Sammi Wanderlustin\': Yay! Caitlyn's back :) if only for a flying visit...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Flemish city from your seat. Until last ...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Wednesdays? Who does that? (Ahem, Belgia...
- Alex, Speaking Denglish: Incredible! Sounds like a great opportunity!...