Squares. As an Australian, I’m not really used to them. We’re used to Malls (Bourke St, Pitt St, Rundle…) which are altogether different from their American counterparts. Only recently have we dabbled in town squares – Federation Square is the best example – but they are specifically designed, plonked down almost, and not organic like [...]
Archive | November, 2011
I couldn’t dedicate just one blog to food, now could I? So, instead of thinking broadly with cuisines, I’ve put my thinking cap on and zeroed in on my favourite meals. Here I was mighty glad that I have ignored people who laugh at me and make a point of taking a picture of most [...]
This list was probably the most fun to create. None of the entries seem to have anything in common but they’re simply united in the fact that I remember them all vividly. They’re the little things that you’re not expecting; they make your trip yours and different from the simple sightseeing that you have in [...]
As you can probably guess from the title of this blog, I quite like sport. I’ll watch just about anything, and chances are I’ll enjoy it more when I’m doing so inside an impressive, historical stadium. Yes, stadiums can be historical and no, they don’t all look the same. Many are even historical for non-sporting [...]
When travelling, I usually do as most others do; city-hop. I’ve lived almost all of my life in a big city and they’re usually the places I love exploring the most – much of history has happened in cities (yeah, yeah, historians can have a nice, long debate about that) and that’s what I’m normally [...]
When I started compiling this list I was buoyed by the fact that I hadn’t succumbed and stayed in the relative comfort of city-hopping around the world. No siree, I thought to myself. I’d definitely gotten my hands dirty. But then I looked down this list and one thing struck me – most of these [...]
I’ve become somewhat used to staying in hostels. Before 2007, I’d stayed in a grand total of one hostel; a dingy affair in Perth where I tried desperately to stay in the middle of my bed and not accidentally roll over and touch the fungus-like growth on the wall. But since then my number is [...]
So, here we go. It’s no secret that one of my favourite things to do when travelling is to eat. I’ll try just about anything – horse, haggis or haloumi – and see a nation’s cuisine as a sort of to-do list when entering a new country. It didn’t always used to be like this. [...]
I never thought I was a museum geek. I like to think that I spend most of my time outside, exploring cities, but compiling this list was way too much fun. When it comes to history museums, I’m all about ones that focus on World War II and its aftermath. Sport of course is another [...]
Particularly when I’m travelling solo, I’m one of those people who knock themselves out with siteseeing during the day and absolutely crash and burn at night. Nighttime is usually for recharging my batteries, planning out the next day’s movements and updating my blog. But seeing many cities solely during the daytime would be like only [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- The 8 travel words I HATE May 17, 2014
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Mayhem in Mechelen September 16, 2014
- You know when I said I wasn’t tour guiding this year? Um… August 3, 2014
- A little bit of Japan in the middle of Brazil July 28, 2014
- Somewhere in Sao Paulo July 24, 2014
- Far away in Rio de Janeiro July 19, 2014
- Adelina: Wow, this sounds like the ultimate dream job. Cong...
- Sammi Wanderlustin\': Yay! Caitlyn's back :) if only for a flying visit...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Flemish city from your seat. Until last ...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Wednesdays? Who does that? (Ahem, Belgia...
- Alex, Speaking Denglish: Incredible! Sounds like a great opportunity!...