Life on the Fat Loop means that you get some pretty cool places to have your ‘Coach Free Days’ – in plain English, your days off. I’ve already mentioned Cesky Krumlov and Bratislava, but recently I’ve also found myself in the little-known Wachau Valley. We may call lots of parts of Australia ‘God’s Own Country’ [...]
Archive | May, 2011
So, today I went on a day trip. To another country – I visited the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava. Embarrassingly enough, I know next-to nothing about Slovakia. I know that it was part of Czechoslovakia, yes, and that’s about it. And that its capital is really close to Vienna. Like, an hour away. To the [...]
I officially have the best job in the world. Putting it out there now – after two days of real work, I’m dead-set hooked. After the training trip ended, I spent a relaxing/re-toxing five days back in Dordrecht with Paul. It’s certainly a luxury, having a European crash pad as I’m working. That week I [...]
After forty-two tumultuous days of tour guide training, I am officially a tour guide. I am fully qualified to take up to 51 eager young things around continental Europe and bestow words of wisdom on them wherever they may go. Definite freak out time, I say. I’m currently writing this on the ultra-fast Thalys train [...]
I have a confession to make. I have managed to find myself in a difficult predicament – I have an unhealthy obsession with gelato in Italy. The record currently stands at eleven scoops in a single day, held by Marc Grayson in Venice. But I myself have hoed down a plethora of different flavours, from [...]
The fact that I’ve hardly had a chance to update my beloved blog over the last few weeks is really testament to just how nutty this tour guide training trip has been. So, look forward to three blog entries in rapid succession! The Northern Loop is, I’ve decided, my favourite. It contains five countries, two [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- The 8 travel words I HATE May 17, 2014
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Getting ready for the Rio Olympics July 15, 2014
- The girl and boy not from Ipanema July 12, 2014
- That time I was cranky at Christ the Redeemer July 7, 2014
- A peek at Porto Alegre July 2, 2014
- How much does it cost to go to the World Cup? June 29, 2014
- Adelina // Pack Me To: Oh it looks so lovely! Not the overcrowded images ...
- Lauren: The beach looks lovely and it does look like the p...
- Darci: This is SO cool! I studied abroad in London in the...
- Getting ready for the Rio Olympics - Olympic Wanderings: […] first day in town was rainy and miserabl...
- Christa Thompson: I hate busy beaches! In Florida, in Europe, anywhe...