Twenty-four countries, sixteen languages, ten currencies, twelve Olympic sites, four time zones, and roughly 61,000 kilometres by plane (39,000), ferry (2250), bus (2400) and train (17,000). And here I am, sitting in my pyjamas, slippers and dressing gown watching The Bold and the Beautiful in my lounge room. And they’re on location in Sydney. Wimbledon [...]
Archive | June, 2007
To say my journey back to London was an adventure is a bit of an understatement. Truly, I am lucky to be here. I have said many times that British Airways and National Express are evil twins. After six hours on a bouncy bus, a three hour long ferry journey with drunken Finns and half [...]
If Estonia wasn’t random enough for you, my current location certainly is. I’m in Riga, Latvia, famous for the religion George Costanza was to convert to (if it wasn’t for him cheating on his test). Actually, the main denomination here is Lutheran, and Lonely Planet doesn’t even mention the Latvian Orthodox Church. I’m starting to [...]
Yep, I’m in Estonia. Anyone know where that is? I’m in one of the smallest capitals in Europe, Tallinn. Before coming here, all I knew about Estonia was that it had once won the Eurovision Song Contest and Tallinn is home to English stag nights. Can’t say that that knowledge really does the place justice. [...]
Well, it was a flying visit to London, after one night I jumped on a plane to Helsinki. No worries about luggage allowances, having to make it out to Stansted… we even ate on the plane. Instead we had to worry about Heathrow, where they of course randomly selected me and I was forced to [...]
So, back in London. It’s still raining, the same man is still telling me to mind the gap, and after three months of more or less finding my way around non-English speaking cities, I am again lost. I think I am somewhere around Covent Garden, but I can’t be sure. All I know is I [...]
As I made my way to the ‘footy’ the other day in Galway, I tried refreshing myself with the rules of the Irish game. I remembered that they didn’t have point posts, had a kind of a soccer net, didn’t really tackle… and that’s about it. That’s all I needed, really. I felt straight at [...]
I loved Ireland from the start. I mentioned in my last post of the two conversations I had with people when waiting for my replacement bus somewhere between Mallow and Killarney. It seriously hasn’t stopped. I have said hello to more people in three days than I had for three months on the continent. I [...]
Five and a half kilos. It wasn’t even close. I hadn’t been through an airport since Heathrow, and I had definitely gotten used to trains. Only on the Eurostar to Paris, and for some reason from Valencia to Madrid were my bags x-rayed. They only started checking my passport once I ventured behind the Iron [...]
Tomorrow I leave Germany. Not happy at all. Didn’t realise how much I was going to love it. Most people’s favourite countries are Italy, or maybe France or Spain. Me? Germany all the way baby. I can’t even put my finger on precisely why. Perhaps it’s a number of things – the history, the food, [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- The 8 travel words I HATE May 17, 2014
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Far away in Rio de Janeiro July 19, 2014
- Getting ready for the Rio Olympics July 15, 2014
- The girl and boy not from Ipanema July 12, 2014
- That time I was cranky at Christ the Redeemer July 7, 2014
- A peek at Porto Alegre July 2, 2014
- Jessica @ Independent Travel Cats: Glad you got to visit your mythical far-flung dest...
- Far away in Rio de Janeiro - Olympic Wanderings: […] I left for Brazil, I debated out loud as...
- Adelina // Pack Me To: Oh it looks so lovely! Not the overcrowded images ...
- Lauren: The beach looks lovely and it does look like the p...
- Darci: This is SO cool! I studied abroad in London in the...