Zoom. I spun around, probably quite theatrically. Zoom. I stepped to the side, trying desperately to avoid the kamikaze forces engulfing me. Zoom. Little by little, I Frogger-hopped my way across Mechelen’s Grote Markt, mentally chiding myself for making such an amateur mistake as attempting to walk across the city’s main square. I was bike-less, [...]
So! There have been a few changes around here. I’ve been keeping this little blog for six and a half years now. It’s had its peaks and troughs, with me sometimes posting at a crazy rate, up to four times a week. Other times, I could go a couple of months without posting a single [...]
‘Você fala português?‘ the man questioned me. I shook my head sadly, embarrassed that my Portuguese skills were solely confined to obrigada and ola. ‘Inglês?‘ I asked hopefully. The man shook his head and fired one back. ‘Espanhol?’ he offered. I made a whole bunch of noises, which in every language mean ‘a bit, but hardly at all, even [...]
I got an iPhone almost four years ago. I had switched over from a BlackBerry and was instantly a convert; within days I told Paul, ‘I love my iPhone’. I filled it with all sorts of apps, in that excited way one gets when given an iTunes gift card (score!) after having spent the last [...]
I think everybody’s got one. A far-flung destination, so far away from home and so foreign that you think you’ll never get there, yet you simultaneously kind of believe that maybe you will one day. For me, that has been South America, and specifically Rio de Janeiro. South America was the sixth continent I had [...]
Even though I was in Brazil for the World Cup, I didn’t completely forget about my Olympic obsession. I mean, how could I? Rio de Janeiro is the first city since Munich in 1972-74 to host the World Cup final and the Olympic Games, back to back. Our first day in town was rainy and [...]
I’ve made it quite clear on this blog that European beaches kinda stress me out. It was partly due to this – and the fact that I LOVE good beaches – that I was so looking forward to visiting the famous beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro. Unfortunately, the weather gods were [...]
I think it was the eighth elbow in my arm that did it. If not, it was definitely the fourth person who stepped on my foot. If all else failed though, it was the third idiot I tripped over who was sprawled out on the floor, as if trying to see up Cristo’s skirt. * [...]
I’m not going to lie here. Before last December, I had never heard of Porto Alegre before. In fact, if Australia wasn’t drawn to play the Netherlands in the southern Brazilian city in the World Cup, I probably still be pretty ignorant as to its existence. Porto Alegre was a bit of a funny place [...]
I know that I don’t give a lot of practical advice on this blog. Instead, I tend to blather on in a bit of a ‘oh yeah, I did this, you should do it too if you tend to like similar things to me’. But I’ve been getting a lot of questions of late, ever [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- The 8 travel words I HATE May 17, 2014
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Mayhem in Mechelen September 16, 2014
- You know when I said I wasn’t tour guiding this year? Um… August 3, 2014
- A little bit of Japan in the middle of Brazil July 28, 2014
- Somewhere in Sao Paulo July 24, 2014
- Far away in Rio de Janeiro July 19, 2014
- Adelina: Wow, this sounds like the ultimate dream job. Cong...
- Sammi Wanderlustin\': Yay! Caitlyn's back :) if only for a flying visit...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Flemish city from your seat. Until last ...
- Mayhem in Mechelen - Olympic Wanderings: […] Wednesdays? Who does that? (Ahem, Belgia...
- Alex, Speaking Denglish: Incredible! Sounds like a great opportunity!...