If you’ve ever compared my blog against my Twitter or Facebook feed, you might notice that I am notorious for always being months behind in my writing. Last week, when I was blogging about thermal baths and the other joys of Budapest, I was actually in the opposite direction, in the UK. I joined my [...]
I have to be totally honest on this blog. I have to remember that at the end of the day, this is essentially a travel journal that got slightly out of hand. So I have to be clear that one of the biggest reasons why I decided to guide tours in Eastern Europe really wasn’t [...]
Yes, I admit it. I’m kind of in denial. See that little sidebar on this blog, just over there to the right? It says, ‘Today I’m a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food’. Yeah, well I’m not a tour guide today. I wasn’t a tour guide yesterday, [...]
My favourite building in the world is the Hungarian Parliament in Budapest. Full stop, no more contenders. To me, it is perfection. Over the years, I have made this very public. I have read about it, taken photos of it, compared it with the building from which it was inspired (the Houses of Parliament in [...]
I first visited Budapest’s Széchenyi thermal baths back in October 2011. I was in town with friends for almost a week, and we figured that we had plenty of time to check out those pool things we’d heard so many people talking about. We loved them so much that we went back the next night. And [...]
After three years on the road working as a tour guide, I have returned to the normality of the nine-to-five. I’ve spent the last couple of months working in an office in Rotterdam, where I’ve noticed a few little quirks in how the Dutchies go about their business. Here are a few things that have [...]
I talk about the weather a lot on this blog. This isn’t a new thing, let me tell you. I didn’t all of a sudden become some sort of cloud-spotter since moving to the rain-soaked Netherlands. No, siree. I am the granddaughter of Betty Mansfield, a lady who once infamously told me that we couldn’t [...]
The Anne Frank Huis in Amsterdam is one of the best museums in the world, in my humble opinion. I place it in the same category as the Louvre, in that it is one of the two museums in Europe that you feel you really have to visit. One tells the story of some of humankind’s [...]
I don’t know how I heard about it, but I knew I had to go. A cafe, called Little Collins, situated in the unlikely neighbourhood of De Pijp in Amsterdam. For two years during high school, I worked at a little shop on the weekends. It was a great part-time job; we sold sports memorabilia [...]
I spent much of last year in the Balkans. Before April 2013, I’d never set foot in the region in my life (bar Greece, which I’ve never really seen as Balkan). And, looking back, I loved it. More than I ever thought I would. Back in 2007, when I first visited Europe, I thought I’d [...]
I'm Caitlyn, a twenty-something Australian living in the Netherlands. Seven years ago I crammed my life into a backpack affectionately called 'the Beast' and hit the road, anxious to see all the world's Olympic sites. Needless to say, I got a bit distracted along the way. Today I'm a tour guide in Europe, and blog about what I love; travel, sport and food.
- Are free walking tours really free? November 18, 2013
- Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’ January 31, 2014
- I’m going to Brazil for the World Cup! March 9, 2014
- Believing the hype of Bled March 16, 2014
- Montenegro, the new Croatia February 2, 2014
- 13 photos from England’s south April 17, 2014
- Perfect days in Budapest April 15, 2014
- Why I’m not tour guiding this year April 12, 2014
- Stepping foot inside the Hungarian Parliament (and I didn’t even faint) April 9, 2014
- An evening at Budapest’s thermal baths April 7, 2014
- Why I'm not tour guiding this year - Olympic Wanderings: […] machine and oven again. I wanted to hang...
- Why I'm not tour guiding this year - Olympic Wanderings: […] Oktoberfest. No further explanation need...
- Caitlyn: Haha I can believe that you've never taken a boat...
- Caitlyn: Hi Ann, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've no...
- Caitlyn: Thanks Alex! I'm going to give the expat thing a ...